Tuesday 23 June 2009

An impressive cast doesn't save Next Day Air



When I saw the lineup for Benny Boom's directoral big screen debut, I got excited. I mean looking at names such as Mos Def, Debbie Allen, Mike Epps, Donald Faison and even Lauren London, I had hopes that it would be a great piece for the music video director.

Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed. Although it's made in a premise of a nice comedy, both actors who I've enjoyed as comedians in their respective works, Mike Epps and Donald Faison, failed to live up to what we know them for. The opportunity for this to be a great comedy was there, but somehow they all failed to capitalise on this with fresh and witty dialogue. Mos Def always adds a certain energy and charisma to his characters. He did here too, but maybe the predictable plot hindered this to shine through.


I must admit though, that he was probably the one who had a few jokes I laughed at. Always groundbreaking in his undertakings, he made news a few months ago for getting the whole cast not to use the "N" while shooting Next Day Air and even when they were on set and not shooting. That's certainly auppladable, proving yet again that Mos Def is not just your regular rapper.


Anyway, because I'm a fan of his, and also actors like Donald Faison (liked his work on Scrubs), Wood Harris (he killed it on The Wire), as well as the beautiful Lauren London (most popular for her stint alongside T.I. on the movie ATL), I jumped at an opportunity to do an advanced screening for my readers and other peeps in the industry. So, if you want to be a part of the screening this coming Thursday, drop me an e-mail at yeahbo@yeahbo.net and I'll forward you the details.


Next Day Air
releases at cionemas nationwide next Friday, 03 July 2009.

No comments: