Monday 29 September 2008

Metro FM takes us down memory lane as they celebrate 22 years On Air


What amazing memories Metro FM gave their listeners yesterday as they featured some of their former DJ's on air during shows co-hosted by Thami Ngubeni, Wilson B. Nkosi, Eddie Zondi and Nothemba Madumo. Apparently Wilson B. Nkosi suggested the idea to Programme Manager Segale Mokgotsi, initially proposing to host his show with both Segale and Bob Mabena. Segale Mokotsi then extended the idea and a wonderful experience was created, in celebration of Metro FM's 22 years of existence.

My personal favourite was Eddie Zondi, co-hosting the show with one of my yesteryear favourite Metro FM DJ's, Grant Shakoane. They combined Zondi's Romantic Repetoire with The GS Connection, a show Grant used to present back in the day. I have very fond memories of that era as I was always entralled by Grant's charisma, music knowledge and taste, as well as his shining personality. Coining phrases like Shubaba Shubabu Doo (I think that's how it went) and The Blacker The Berry, The Sweeter The Juice, amongst others, he was a forced to be reckoned with. It was this very same man who introduced me to the music of a very talented young lady called Taral Hicks, who gave us songs like Silly, a remake of Deniece Williams' song of the same title (I didn't even know it was a remake at the time) and I Wish You Were Here. This young lady did Silly more than justice as she shone on the ballad with her outstanding vocals (she is also an actor, most memorable for her role on the movie Belly). Anyway, another awesome song Grant Shakoane introduced me to was Luther Vandross' It's All About You, which is rarely played on radio. Actually, I think I have only heard it less than 5 times since Grant left Metro FM. His show yesterday just brought back those memories of a young boy in school and reminded me how good things were, including radio.

Metro FM continues their celebrations, including a cash prize giveaway of R900 000 this coming Friday, 03rd October, ending it with a huge Birthday celebration and Metro FM Music Awards nominee announcement party next week. Please tune into Metro FM to get more details on the giveaway and the awards launch event.

No comments: