Thursday 22 January 2009

Audi Joburg Fashion Week Series: Leigh Schubert with a fresh look



Over the past week we featured profiles of a few designers showcasing their latest collections at the Audi Joburg Fashion Week. The event has started and I just witnessed my first show this evening. This is actually my first attendance of any event this year. It's off to a good start I must say.

The first show I attended a few minjutes ago was Leigh Schubert, an amazingly talented designer from Durban. Over the years I've grown a likeliness of her designs and creations, perhaps mostly because there was a strong presence of different linen fabrics. This time she has switched things up, completely abandoning that signature of hers and experimenting with different types of fabrics including satins, lace andn even shimmery threads.

Leigh has also dumped the very earthy colours and explored with mixtures of powder pinks, banana yellows, and a variation of silver and bronze metallics. What I also noticed was that there was a strong presence of ankle-length tights worn with short dresses.

Overall, although I liked what she had done for the past seasons more, this wasn't totally out of the radar. She should be applauded for getting out of her comfort zone and experiemneting with fresh ideas.

No comments: