Friday 17 October 2008

The Secret Life Of Bees delivers the goods


There has been a lot of buzz surrounding the movie The Secret Life Of Bees in the U.S., with many premiere events taking place in the last few weeks. My interest was peeked the first time I saw the title in the schedule that we receive from the local distribution companies. After looking at the cast, that interest grew even more, to the point that I submitted my proposal to Nu Metro to host an exclusive screening of the movie as we have done occasionally. However, just last week I was informed that the release date for The Secret Life Of Bees has been pushed to January next year.

When I saw the movie this past Wednesday, I had a few reservations regardig the fact that singers make the bulk of the cast. Many singers or artists who attempt to act have disappointed before, but the formula in The Secret Life Of Bees is a winning one. The three artists, Queen Latifah, Alicia Keys and Jennifer Hudson did a superb job in their respecting roles. It's very rare that when you look at a singer or artist's acting you even forget that they are actually singers. This is how powerful and real their performances were. Of course Queen Latifah transitioned well and has proved that it is possible to be good in both since I first saw her on Set It Off. Alicia Keys had a rocky start, but did better on The Nanny Diaries. Even for Jennifer and her Oscar-winning role on Dreamgirls, you couldn't even compare her role as Effie White to her role alongside another talented youngster Dakona Fanning, who I have been a fan of for a while now. To round off the cast is an exceptionally talented Sophie Okonedo, who has bowled me over every time I see her and equally sizzling in the 3-time Oscar-nominated Hotel Rwanda.

The Secret Life Of Bees is one of those movies that provides on all levels of what a film should provide, from acting to the flow of the story, to the the directing and all the other trimmings. The only disadvantage I foresee for the film is the way it will be received here. However, if it is marketed the right way, it should do fine when it releases in February 2009. And, I'm going to try and get an exclusive screening for all of you my favourite peeps that read the blog and the website YEAHBO.DOT.NET. Keep it locked here for details as the release date approaches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I can't wait. Queen Latifah is one of my favourite actresses.

Tebogo