Friday 10 October 2008

Metro FM takes their music awards to Pretoria, and introduces 2 new categories



You may have heard by now that the Metro FM Music Awards will be hosted in the city of Tshwane this year. This, together with the news about the introduction of 2 new categories, namely Hit Song Of The Year and Best Collaboration, was revealed at Movida in Sunninghill where Metro FM hosted the media, industry people, artists and the general public as they announced the award nominees for 2008 instalment of the awards; as well as capping off their 22nd Birthday celebration in style and glamour.

I was very excited to learn that one of my favourite duo/groups, Jaziel Brothers, whose album I've been immensely enjoying (see my review of their album at YEAHBO.DOT.NET), received the highest number, scooping four nominations. With an equal number of nods is Pretoria's own Rhythmic Elements. One of Jaziel Brothers' contests is for the top honours in the Song Of The Year category, alongside DJ Vetkuk vs Mahoota, Jub Jub, and my hometown's Big Nuz.

The event didn't really stand out for me, I expected more. Maybe it's because of the bad sound, or the fact that it was too crowded and people were yapping around with no consideration for those that wanted to know what was going on in the stage. Or perhaps, it's the combination of both. Amongst the performers for night were Bantu Soul, Rythmic Elements and Howza (and Chomee was to perform later - I left before she performed). There were too many familar faces present to mention here, but I got a chance to shortly chat with Zuluboy and Ben Dikobe, amongst others. I also met a lady called Kyle who told me she used to be a gospel singer and is now Chomee's vocal coach.

The race is now on to see who will be crowned kings and queens at the big event to be held in a yet undisclosed venue in Pretoria on the 29th of November. But before that, the public needs to decide who the top 3 for each category will be, the voting closes on the 22nd October 2008. To see the full nominee list, voting details, and more information, please go to YEAHBO.DOT.NET.

No comments: