Thursday 5 March 2009

Lalah Hathaway is Daddy's Little Girl all the way through

Last week I heard some rumblings that Lalah Hathaway might be coming through to the country for some type of music festival. It was in the same breath that I was given an opportunity to conduct an interview with her. The plans went full swing in motion, and this morning, I got the chance to speak with the beautiful, sultry and velvet-voiced songstress. Here is some of what we chatted about:

As soon as someone mentions your name, your father springs into mind. I’m sure you’ve heard a lot of people too saying you remind them of your great late father. How does that make you feel?
It is a great honour to be mentioned in the breathe as my father. There is nobody else I'd rather be associated with. That actually makes me very happy and gives me a sense of pride.
One of your songs that further cemented your position in the music industry was your rendition of the Luther Vandross classic, Forever, For Always, For Love. Knowing Luther as one of the most prolific and outstanding vocalists to ever brace this world, were you at all nervous about pulling it off?
I was very concerned about making it feel good. I wanted it to be a personal love letter to him, as one of my influences. Of course, I was nervous initially, but I take pride in what I do. So many people ahve covered songs before and most of the time it doesn't work because it's sometimes hard to apporach such great songs. However, if there is enough conviction and passion, it's easier to accomplish what you want to achieve.
I just heard last week that you might be coming to the country and this week your inclusion into the line-up was confirmed. Have you ever been to South Africa before? If not what are your expectations?
Not that I know of. Nobody has approached me yet, but I would love to do it. I have heard many positive stories about South Africa, but have never been there before.

To see the rest of the interview, please go to YEAHBO.DOT.NET.

No comments: