Tuesday 24 February 2009

Penelope Cruz puts Spain on the map with an Oscar



In the weeks leading to the Oscars I watched and reviewed some of the movies that were among the favourites for many. I also voiced my opinions on some of the nominees I thought stood a great chance. The results were quite pleasing, although somewhat not suprising. One of those movies that I wrote about was Vicky Christina Barcelona, which won Penelope Cruz her first Oscar ever.

The reason I'm highlighting this, is beacuse Penelope Cruz is the very first Spanish actress to walk away with the golden crown. And with good reason she won too, because she excelled on her role in the latest Woody Allen film. Even though I wanted Teraji P. Henson or Viola Davis to win the Best Supporting Actress gong, I'm content with Penelope Cruz (apparently she is going out with co-star Javier Bardem - second picture above - in real life, an interesting spin on the movie now that I know about that), as she has proved a phenomenal talent, overe and over. I first took notice of her in 2001 when she did Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise, and have been a fan ever since.

And of course, I have to mention that another of my favourite films this year, Slumdog Millionare, had an impressive run at the Oscars this past Sunday. Walking away with 8 of the 11 trophies the film was nominated for, including Best Motion Picture and Best Directing for Dany Boyle, it was certainly the top 'dog'. Just this past Friday I also reviewed The Reader, which helped Kate Winslet cling the Best Leading Actress statuette, her very first after so many dry runs. There were many other films that did well, including The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, although I was a bit disappointed it only won 3 out of the record 13 nominations for this year.

I didn't get to watch the actual show, but I have read and heard about it. What fascinated me about the stories was that the style was upped a bit this year by having past winners (as presenters) read a short profile on each of the nominees in the big categories. I thought that was very classy and such a sincere and commendable gesture. I hope I'll get to see the show some time to witness that for myself and to see how the performances were (apparently Queen Latifah did a sterling job with hers).

Let's hope next year will be even bigger and better. I'm looking forward to seeing the films that will be made this year to contest for next year's Oscars. And I'm certainly hoping South Africa is counted amongst those films.

No comments: