Tuesday 28 October 2008

eThekwini's Lungisani takes the Gospel Competition crown

Durbanite Lungisani Moffat Ntuli was crowned winner on the grand finale of SABC 2’s weekly music reality show I Want To Sing Gospel this past Sunday. After getting the highest number of votes from the public, he walked away with R100 000 and a recording contract from Lindelani Mkhize Entertainment.

According to the the numbers, Lungisani received over 40 000 votes from SABC 2 viewers around Mzansi, followed by runner-up Mzoxolo Rafani with just over 30 000 votes and Charisma Hanekam with over 12 000 votes. Both Mzoxolo and Charisma are each receiving a consolation prize of R25 000.
“I am very happy to have won, when I first came to the show I wished to win and I have always wanted to record an album, it has taken so long, but now my dream has come true. My album will be about praise and worship. With the money I have won, I will make my mother’s dream come true and renovate her house so we can have more space and comfort like everyone else. I would also like to continue with my administration and computer studies,” said the ecstatic Lungisani.

The show’s head talent scout, Lindelani Mkhize, who will also be producing Lungisani’s debut album gleefully stated, “South Africa has spoken and their choice is good; Lungisani’s success - also considering his disadvantaged background - is a positive, uplifting story. The hard work begins now; in order for him to deliver, he will need to be dedicated, disciplined and devoted to what he does, the ball is in his court.”

I didn't follow the show religiously, only catching short snippets here and there, but it is undisputed that the gifted man from the North of eThekwini can sing. Well done to Lungisani for his victory. I'm certainly looking forward to hear what he cooks up in the studio soon.

The remaining top 9 contestants have decided to form a Gospel group, which will be launched through two special live shows this Thursday & Friday (30 & 31 October 2008) at the South African State Theatre in Tshwane. They are currently busy rehearsing for these events, their first ever live concerts along with winner Lungisani – following overwhelming public demand.

Tickets for the I Want To Sing Gospel live shows are available through Computicket and at all Shoprite Checkers ticket counters. There concerts are made possible with the support of SABC 2, South African State Theatre and the show’s main SABC Radio partners - Ukhozi FM and Lesedi FM.

No comments: