Wednesday 11 March 2009

Siphokazi proves humilty will take you far


The roads all lead to the Mother City for the Cape Town International Jazz Festival at the beginning of April. If you haven't done your bookings whether in terms of getting there or accommodation, move faster because you might just find yourself missing out on this amazing spectacle.

Leading to the festival, we shall be featuring profiles on some of the artists that are featured on the line-up for the 10th Annual Cape Town International Jazz Festival. Opening things up is Siphokazi, whom I had a chat with over the phone yesterday. She is one of the musicians that will be burning the torch from the Mzansi at the festival. We chatted about a few things, including what this milestone means for her and what her musical influences and inspirations are. Here is a highlight of the conversation:


What does being invited to performance at one of the biggest festivals in the world mean to you?
I am extremely excited. I'm still very overwhelmed. It's very humbling that they chose me to be part of it. Although I'm still not sure which day I'll be performing on (Friday or Saturday), I'll be sharing the stage with people I'd never dreamed I'd perform with."
What should the audience expect from your show?
A lot of nice music. I also respect people because they have shown me a great deal of respect, so I'll make sure I rehearse a lot so that I can give them my all. It's going to be much and much fun.
The rest of the write-up is at YEAHBO.DOT.NET.

No comments: