Friday 5 September 2008

Things are looking good for Jerusalema.


Jerusalema, the new local film starring Rapulana Seiphemo is doing well at the cinemas. It was in the top ten at the box office in its opening weekend (29 - 31 August 2008) and the word is that it is sitting at a half-a-million mark right now. I believe it would be over the million mark if it there was a print sent to the Southgate Mall theatre. Come to think of it, the film is set and shot in Soweto and Southgate is in the South, therefore would have made sense to not only open at Maponya Mall, but Southgate Mall as well. Let's blame it on the the planning. Anyway, I'm sure they've realised their mistake and rectifying this will take the film into the success it deserves.


I watched the movie about 4 weeks ago and was very impressed. The story was told and flowed very well, the acting brilliant and the casting impeccable. The Jafta and Rapulana transition (Jafta played the younger Rapulana's character, Lucky Kenene) was very smooth, almost as if it was the same person acting, and I liked that a lot. I actually had a chat with Rapulana about a week before the movie opened and he agreed with my views on the casting. He also told me that because they started shooting Jafta's parts before his, he would go to the set to learn Jafta's mannerisms and character. He also added, "The fact that I almost look like him made things easier too because I didn't have to try too hard".


Jerusalema is now at cinemas nationwide. Don't miss out, it's very real, very raw, very relatable, and thrilling too. With your buzz, we may just clinge another Oscar nomination for this one, even a win.

No comments: