Friday 26 June 2009

The Legendary King Of Pop Is No More.


The world is reeling with shock and sadness following the news of Michael Jackson's hospitalisation, and ultimately his tragic and unexpected death; from a cardiac arrest arising from heart failure. All spectrums of the media have covered the topic in abundance and it's one on everybody lips or fingers as the whole world sends their messages of sympathy and condolences to Michael's children, family and friends.

When I received a call from one of my friends after the Bafana Bafana game against Brazil last night, I immediately texted a friend of mine from the U.S. to share what they had heard as the local radio deejays were not sure of the facts. He said the news stations were reporting that he was in cardiac arrest, but within minutes he sent back another mobile text to say they were now reporting that he had died.

I cannot begin to describe the sadness that swept through my heart when it was confirmed that he had really passed on. I instantly remembered that me and a group of friends were watching one of his live DVD's for his Bucarest tour in 1992 just last Sunday over lunch and we were talking about him and the power and the ability to capture his fans' spirits and transport them into this surreal inexplainable world of worship.

The testimony to this ability was entrenched in a joke I read about on one of my favourite blogs Panache Report, where one of the commenters revealed a true account of a young, fat girl who used to be taunted by the neighbourhood kids because of her weight. After this happened for a long time, she one day turned around to face a gigantic Michael Jackson poster she had on the wall of her bedroom and loudly emitted, "Michael Jackson, please give me strength". She then went out and whipped those kids' butts; and needless to say, those kids never bothered her again. We all laughed until the back of our heads started to ache. That's just one of the many wonderful memories I will cherish about Michael Jackson until the end of my lifetime.


All I'll say for now is, may his soul rest in peace. My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and fans throughout the world, who are all feeling different variations of pain, sadness and sorrow right now. We need to celebrate his life and most importantly the precious treasure he left behind, his music. His legacy will live on forever and stay unparalleled with any other entertainer who has braced this world. He was a trully phenomenal talent. He was trully THE BEST. R.I.P. Micahel Jackson.


Picture credit: Concreteloop

No comments: