Thursday 9 April 2009

Cadillac Records premiere a soaring success






So finally it happened, and I'm ecstatic about the results. My biggest movie premiere yet took place last night and what a better way to have one of the stars in the movie to be a guest.

This is how the idea came about: I learnt that Mos Def was coming to the country for the Cape Town International Jazz Festival and wanted to do something with him. On the very same day, I learnt that Kenzhero already had secured a gig with him, so I got a bit more creative. I knew Mos Def is in Cadillac Records, a movie based loosely on Etta James' life, which will be released by Ster Kinekor on the 29th of May 2009. I dediced to work on that angle.

After tireless communication with Mos Def's representatives, the ball got rolling. I approached Ster Kinekor with the idea and they took to it instantly. It's great to know I managed to pull this project off, and very well too, considering the sponsors we approached failed to see this great opportunity.


Anyway, the event happened last night at Ster Kinekor in Sandton City and it was on fire. Obviously the highlight of the event was Mos Def arriving and addressing the audience through a short interview by a young lady who won a Channel O competition. In addition to that, it was very moving that Mos decided to stay and watch at least 75% of the movie (he was only supposed to make and appearance and leave). The food was delicious and drinks flowing so easily. The whole event turned out amazingly well, with celebrities gallore.


First and foremost I've gotta thank Hardy McQueen for being a man of his word. From the beginning he told me that we were going to do this and we certainly did. Thanks Hardy, I can't emphasise enough how much your involvement in this project is appreciated. Thank you Irma for keeping me in check with regards to all the requirements from Hip Hop Alive's side. Thanks to Sibongile Khuzwayo who handled the catering segment of the event, the food was devine. To my friend Sizwe Dhlomo, thank you for agreeing to MC at such short notice and for your patience and calmness to the pressures that arose. And most importantly, as I did last night just before he left, thank you to Mos Def for his time and for ensuring this was a special moment for YEAHBO Entertainmnet (YEAHBO.DOT.NET). To Ster Kinekor Head Office and their theatres in Sandton City, Sandton City Management, and Sony Pictures, your input to the event is immensely valued. And lastly, but definitely not least, to all the YEAHBO.DOT.NET subscribers and readers who have been down with me all the way. Your support is greatly appreciated.


I'm going to continue bringing you people of Mzansi all the exclusives in terms of big screen experiences. This is a great feat in the entertainmnet industry, a really groundbreaking moment. This has never happened in the country and I'm glad my name is attached to it. Until another unique and exclusive experience, keep it locked right here and at YEAHBO.DOT.NET.


Photos taken by Khanya Litabe

3 comments:

Mas! said...

Hey its was a nite to remember! Thanks to all of your hard work to make this true and looking forward to more nites like this! Weldone Yeahbo.dot.net you cats rock! mos deff! and tonite its on again to see him at the show! -(0_o)-

Siga said...

Nice 1 Khetha, u'v outdone urself :)

Thanx for the invite, it was a first for me - watching a movie starring Mos Def, with the dude a couple of seats away, and 2night I'm checking out the man &his band on stage !

Movie was good, great cast, great people, great acting classic movie (no pun intended + Got schooled too ;)

Mos Def worth watching again !

1.

Nelly said...

thanks so much for an invite Khetha i really enjoyed myself and it was definately nyc to see Mos def , good food , drinks and beautiful people in one place , the movie very nyc Beyonce is talented for sure .